I loved reading Teach Like a Champion by Doug Lemov. The book offers 49 great teaching techniques that every teacher should be using in their classrooms. He writes these 5 powerful Things Every Teacher Needs to Know or Do to Be Successful.
1. Simplicity is underrated. A simple idea well-implemented is an incredibly powerful thing.
2. You know your classroom best. Always keep in mind that what’s good is what works in your classroom.
3. Excellent teaching is hard work. Excellent teachers continually strive to learn and to master their craft. No matter how good a teacher is, it’s always possible to be better.
4. Every teacher must be a reading teacher. Reading is the skill our students need.
5. Teaching is the most important job in the world. And it’s also the most difficult.
Why Did Doug Lemov Write the Book Teach Like A Champion? Watch the video.
Teach Like a Champion offers effective teaching techniques to help teachers, especially those in their first few years, become champions in the classroom. These powerful techniques are concrete, specific, and are easy to put into action the very next day. Training activities at the end of each chapter help the reader further their understanding through reflection and application of the ideas to their own practice.
Among the techniques:
Technique #1: No Opt Out. How to move students from the blank stare or stubborn shrug to giving the right answer every time.
Technique #35: Do It Again. When students fail to successfully complete a basic task, from entering the classroom quietly to passing papers around, doing it again, doing it right, and doing it perfectly, results in the best consequences.
Technique #38: No Warnings. If you're angry with your students, it usually means you should be angry with yourself. This technique shows how to effectively address misbehaviors in your classroom.
Why I love this Book? You don't just get to read about the 49 Techniques but their is a DVD of the top 25. Great for a when you want to have Book Study for Classroom Management.
The book includes a DVD of 25 video clips of teachers demonstrating the techniques in the
Want to purchase Teach Like a Champion? Buy Here.
About Me: I am Stephanie McConnell, Principal of 600 students in East Texas.
Check out my website at: http://principalprinciples.com
What are some of your classroom techniques that make your students successful?